What is Keto?
The keto diet or better known as the ketogenic diet is a low-carb and high-fat diet. The diet has this name because it causes your body to create “ketones.” Ketones are another type of fuel source that is produced from your liver when you eat fewer calories. When you do the keto diet, it forces your body to fuel itself on fats. The ketogenic diet is great for when you’re trying to lose weight.
Tips for beginners
- Make sure to decrease carbs: The whole objective of the ketogenic diet is to consume fewer carbs. The number of carbs you should attempt to consume in a day is 20-40 grams. You should try to eat more veggies such as spinach, kale, asparagus, mushrooms, and broccoli.
- Try to keep your stress levels low: When your stress levels are high then it can raise your blood sugar and does not allow your body to achieve ketosis. If you have a stressful life then you should wait a little while on starting on the keto diet. You should make sure that you are stress-free before starting the diet.
- Consume healthier fats: The keto diet reduces the intake of carbs but increases the fat. It is good to make sure that you are eating healthy fats such as olive oil, eggs, nuts, cheese, or coconut oil.
- Make sure to exercise: Although it is good to be on the diet, if you are trying to lose weight then you should also exercise to help increase the effectiveness. The more exercise that you do then the faster that your body loses glucose which is what you need to get rid of in order to achieve ketosis.
- Drink more water: Water helps your metabolism and normal functions. If you do not drink enough water then you could possibly become dizzy or have cravings. You should also make sure that you consume enough electrolytes you can add a little salt to your food.
- Manage the amount of protein: Eating enough protein is very important during the diet. Your body needs proteins in order for your liver to produce glucose from amino acids. If you do not consume enough protein then it could lead to muscle mass loss.
Tips for beginners: If you decide to fuse your keto program with intermittent fasting, make sure to learn more about every part of the process to get the best possible results, click here for this topic: https://lifeapps.io/fasting/the-5-stages-of-intermittent-fasting/
Foods to eat
When on the keto diet, the point of the diet is to not consume a lot of carbs. The fewer carbs you consume, the more effective the diet becomes. Foods that you should try are fish and seafood, eggs, meat, butter, olive oil, cheese, and more. Foods that you should try to avoid are fruits, potatoes, beer, pasta, rice, bread, soda, juice, donuts, chocolate bars, and candy. The drinks that are effective on the diet are most definitely water, coffee and tea are good but you should not add sweeteners such as sugar.
Sample Diet Plan
Here is a 21.4g carb sample diet plan of the keto diet if you would like to try it.
- Helps burn body fat: while on the keto diet, your body starts to store fat which is good for staying at a healthy weight.
- Can fuel the brain: Ketones can help provide good energy for the brain.
- Increase your energy: The energy that your brain gets can help it create more mitochondria which is the energy in your cells.
- Can reduce appetite: When on keto then your body will not get hungry as fast and your body can go for longer time periods without eating anything.
The keto diet is a good and healthy diet if you are willing to do it. You just need to make sure that you are in the right mindset when you start the diet and take these tips into consideration. Make sure to do all the research that you can when starting out.