Enhance your middle and high school students’ nutrition awareness while promoting a positive self-image and deeper appreciation of having a healthy, strong body.
– – Human Body Detectives, a series of action-packed fiction stories and elementary curriculum has launched a teen turn-key digital nutrition curriculum.
Human Body Detectives agrees with the CDC that obesity, malnutrition and lack of physical activity are winnable battles. Current trends in school-based nutrition education, including the expansion of school food gardens, are showing positive improvements in everyday dietary practices of teens. Human Body Detectives Nutrition 101 provides a solid foundation for teaching teens how food directly influences how they function everyday.
Nutrition 101 includes (digital download):
• eight teacher turn-key *lesson plans
• student notes for each lesson
• cornell, outline or cloze notes for each lesson, research project on chosen food
• homework options, video, app and slideshow suggestions
• socratic reading of The Unhealthy Truth by Robyn O’Brien
• hands on labs and experiments
*lesson plans: the digestive system, vitamins & minerals, proteins, fats & carbohydrates, a spoonful of sugar, acid/alkaline balance, food diet, the unhealthy truth, whole food presentation
This curriculum is aligned to Common Core State Standards by a National Board Certified Teacher.
About Dr. Heather:
Dr. Heather Manley, who in 2001 received her medical degree from the National College of Naturopathic Medicine in Portland, Oregon, is a practicing physician whose primary interest is preventative healthcare for families. She is the author of the award winning Human Body Detectives, her children’s educational adventure series of story-telling books, eBooks, and iPhone/iPad apps. She also promotes wellness and naturopathic healthcare on her website. She lives on the Big Island of Hawaii with her husband and two daughters, and is currently at work on the next Human Body Detectives adventure.