Sunnyvale, CA (RPRN) 7/21/2009–Yahoo!(R) Inc. (Nasdaq:YHOO)is launching a new homepage that brings together the best of the Web with the best of Yahoo! in a single destination across both PC and mobile screens. With the new Yahoo! homepage, people can easily add apps – from Yahoo! or virtually any other site on the Web – and access them from their computer or mobile devices so that their favorite content, services and experiences are always at their fingertips. The new Yahoo! homepage is available today in the U.S. at http://yahoo.com/trynew and will roll-out in France, India, the UK, and on mobile devices over the coming week.
Today’s launch represents the most significant change to the Yahoo! homepage since the company’s inception. By enabling this level of personalization, Yahoo! allows people to get more done, faster, all in a single place. This launch is a major milestone in the Yahoo! Open Strategy, which seeks to mesh the Yahoo! experience with the best online content and services.
“People are living more of their lives online – in the U.S., the average person visits a staggering 85 sites a month*. Whether for the PC or a mobile device, Yahoo! is bringing greater simplicity and relevance to the way people experience the Web,” said Ari Balogh, executive vice president of products & chief technology officer. “By focusing on what people have told us they want, our new homepage is designed to help them stay on top of what is going on in their world, and in the rest of the world.”
The new Yahoo! homepage brings together the best tools and content from across the Web, combined with leading content and services from Yahoo! properties, to give people one place to access the people and things that matter to them most.
New features of the Yahoo! homepage include:
- My Favorites – People can easily choose from a dashboard of more than 65 apps to add directly to their homepage, including different email providers (AOL(R), Gmail(R), Yahoo! Mail), best of breed content sites (Barron’s(R), NPR(R), omg!, USA Today), popular social networking sites (Facebook(R) and MySpace(R)), and dozens of others. These apps give people the ability to preview, interact with, or navigate to their favorite sites from one easy check-in point.
- App Maker – Using technology developed by Yahoo!, people can easily create their own app on the fly by adding virtually any URL of their choice.
- Trend Setter – A new snapshot of trends, including the most popular searches, insights from Yahoo! Buzz, and fun facts from around the Web.
- PC to Mobile Sync (coming soon)-People will be able to continue their Yahoo! experience on the go with a more seamless PC to mobile integration. New apps added to the Yahoo! homepage on the PC can be added to the mobile homepage.
- News, For You – Hyper-local news and the ability to toggle the news module to the top of the page offer easier ways to access the news that matters most.
- Social Updates – People can now share their current “status” with friends directly from the homepage, get visibility into what their friends are doing across the Web, and integrate with leading social networks, such as Facebook and MySpace.
“At Facebook, we’re focused on giving people more powerful ways to connect – whether that is on Facebook or other popular Web destinations,” said Ethan Beard, director of Platform Marketing, Facebook. “With the ability to now check your Facebook activity or update your status directly on the Yahoo! homepage, we’re making it easier for people to share with their friends as they explore their favorite places on the Web.”
All users in the United States can opt-in to experience the new Yahoo! homepage at http://yahoo.com/trynew, with local versions rolling-out in France, India, the UK and on mobile devices over the coming week. Additional global rollouts are planned, beginning in the next month. More enhancements to the Yahoo! homepage, including additional apps, will be added in the coming months.
More information is available on the company blog, Yodel Anecdotal, and broll is available to broadcast stations at http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist.dll?SID=89838930.
Yahoo! Inc. is a leading global consumer brand and one of the most trafficked Internet destinations worldwide. Yahoo! is where millions of people go every day to see what is happening with the people and things that matter to them most. Yahoo! helps marketers reach that audience with its unique and compelling advertiser proposition. Yahoo! is headquartered in Sunnyvale, California. For more information, visit http://pressroom.yahoo.com or the company’s blog, Yodel Anecdotal (http://yodel.yahoo.com).
* comScore Custom Research
Yahoo! and Yodel Anecdotal are the trademark and/or registered trademark of Yahoo! Inc.
All other names are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of their respective owners.
Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=6012064&lang=en
Source: Yahoo! Inc.
Mojgan Khalili, 408-349-7482
Kryssa Guntrum, 408-349-3351
Becky Porter, 415-345-4778