The surging popularity of the therapeutic effects of cannabis in humans has led to the discovery of similar products for pets like hemp oil for dogs. Manufacturers produce the oil from the seeds of hemp, which is a strain of the Cannabis sativa plant species. The hemp seeds contain cannabidiol (CBD), which experts claim to be beneficial in treating several conditions.
The hemp-sourced CBD oil market is a fast-growing industry, with a projected market size of more than $2 billion by 2024. Due to its non-addictive properties, hemp-derived oil is legal in many U.S. states. Most countries also allow the use of the product in their jurisdiction. Companies in the cosmetics, food, pharmaceutical, and pet industries are the primary users of hemp oil.
Nutritional and Therapeutic Benefits of Hemp Oil for Dogs
Many hemp products are already sold online and in mortar-and-brick stores. Pet owners and veterinarians attest to its benefits in providing nutrition and easing various pet ailments. Some other uses of hemp oil are:
- A good source of essential oils and nutrients to make dog diets more nutritious
- Has high Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, which is an excellent supplement to help dogs with skin conditions, allergies, arthritis, heart disease, and more
- Consists of anti-inflammatory properties to help ease chronic pain
- Prevents the spread of cancer cells
- Relieves anxiety and promote calmness in dogs due to its antidepressant properties
- Improves appetite and memory
- Makes the dog’s skin and coat look prettier and healthier
- Does not affect the pet’s liver and kidney functions
Other Tips in Keeping Your Dog Healthy
Aside from using hemp oil as a food supplement and treatment for your dog, here are other recommendations to maintain the health of your pet:
- Buy only high-quality dog food for your canine. You can ask your veterinarian for recommendations on the right products to purchase, as well as the appropriate amount you give to your pet.
- Provide your dog with sufficient water to drink.
- Feed your canine in a consistent interval.
- Bring your dog to the veterinarian for his vaccination and scheduled booster injections to protect him/her against diseases.
- Deworm your pet at regular intervals or based on the recommendation of your vet to prevent parasites like roundworms and heartworm.
- Brush your dog habitually to maintain proper grooming. Combing your pet will also allow you to assess his/her bodily condition and keep his/her coat knot-free.
- Bath your canine regularly using a mild dog shampoo to prevent secondary skin infections. Ask your vet on how often your pet needs a bath.
- Trim the nails of your dog regularly to keep his/her paws healthy.
- Exercise with your dog frequently and conduct reward-based training to stimulate his/her mind.
- Provide your dog with a comfortable area to sleep.
- Treat your dog as a member of your family.
Maintaining your beloved furry baby’s health will allow you to enjoy his/her company and service for the long term. With the right supplements like hemp oil for dogs in your arsenal and by following these tips, your dog will be in good health for the years to come.