Sawgrass Mutual Insurance Company Releases Holiday Safety Tips
Each year, joy and merriment abound during the holiday season, but beware, dangers may lurk. While putting up the holiday décor and making the home festive, people often forget about safety.
And while the folks at Sawgrass Mutual Insurance love to join in the fun, they want to remind individuals to stay aware, and safe, while spreading holiday cheer. Below is a list of the possible dangers and simple reminders to ensure happy holidays this season.
The “Coal in the Stocking” Facts
- An estimated 130,000 fires are expected to occur in December
- The most common days for Christmas tree fires and holiday-related deaths are Christmas, Christmas Eve, December 26, December 27 and New Year’s Day
- Fifteen percent of Christmas tree fires are started by candles
- An average of 5,000 people visit the emergency room each holiday season due to electrical decoration mishaps
- Each year, holiday decorations account for almost 2,000 fires and cause more than $41 million in property damage
- Annually, hospital emergency rooms treat about 12,000 people for injuries such as falls, cuts and shocks related to holiday lights, electrical decorations and Christmas trees
- A slip and fall injury is estimated to cost the average person $30,000
- More than 20 percent of Americans do not turn off candles or electrical decorations before going to sleep or leaving the premises
“Big Red Bow” Tips
- Always read safety instructions on all lighting packages
- Don’t place the tree near a heat source
- Put water in the Christmas tree stand and remove any loose needles on a daily basis
- Inspect holiday lights and look for missing or broken bulbs and frayed cords
- Do not overload electrical outlets and use surge protectors
- Do not place more than three light strands on a tree
- Turn lights off when going to sleep or leaving the premises including on the tree and inside and outside the home
- When putting up exterior decorations, and using a ladder, make sure not to lean over too far, have someone hold the bottom of the ladder, and never stand on the top rung
- Make sure all decorations are non-flammable and flame retardant
- Keep decorations away from candles and make sure to put them out when leaving a room
- Keep wrapping paper and presents in a safe place away from fireplaces and candles
- When purchasing an artificial tree, make sure it’s flame retardant
- Replace the batteries in smoke detectors every year on New Year’s Day
About Sawgrass Mutual Insurance Company
Sawgrass Mutual Insurance Company is a policyholder owned insurance company and provides insurance coverage for homes and structures physically attached to homes located in Florida; detached structures such as pools, fences and sheds; and personal property including clothes, furniture and appliances and Scheduled Personal Property such as special Jewelry and Fine Arts items. Additional benefits include competitive pricing, convenient payment plans, and some additional coverage options to provide the policyholder the ability to tailor coverage through their agent to meet their individual needs.
Sawgrass Mutual Insurance Company is headquartered in Davie, Florida. For additional information, call Bob Sammons at (877) 853-4336 or visit www.SawgrassMutual.com.