Plaxico Burress’ Days In New York Are Officially Over

By Bryan Mongeau-Eastmond, staff writer

NEW YORK (RPRN) 04/03/09– The New York Giants announced today their decision to release the talented yet troubled receiver Plaxico Bureess, four months after accidentally shooting himself in the right thigh in a Manhattan nightclub.

According to sources within the Giants’ organization, Burress requested to be traded, which made their decision to release their offensive playmaker that much easier.
“I am an optimist, and I believe most situations can be worked out,” said General Manager Jerry Reese. “We hung in there as long as we could in hopes that there could be a resolution to this situation other than the decision we made today to release Plaxico. It wasn’t to be, so now we have to move on. Like everybody else here, we want nothing but the best for Plaxico, and we are appreciative of the contributions he made to this franchise.”

Burress, perhaps best known for catching the game-winning touchdown pass in Super Bowl XLII, is now perhaps best known for his off-the-filed- activities.

Now there is a cloudy future for the 31 year-old, who has been charged with criminal possession of a weapon in the second degree.

The case against the former New York star was adjourned Tuesday until June unless he reaches a plea agreement with prosecutors to resolve the matter sooner. Burress has yet to speak publicly on his situation.

Last year Burress’ production decreased dramatically in which he only played in 10 games with nine starts and caught 35 passes for 454 yards and four touchdowns. These are certainly not the numbers that Giants’ fans are accustomed to seeing in his previous four seasons with the club.

The team also fined Burress and suspended him for four games for conduct detrimental to the team and then placed on the reserve/non-football injury list for the remainder of the season.

Photo courtesy of the National Football League

Read all of Bryan’s stories here

Share This Post

More To Explore